Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: [bug #28597] TeX is missing

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: [bug #28597] TeX is missing
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:13:09 +1030

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:31:38 +0100
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Richard Stallman schreef:
> > I am sure there is a real problem with the Debian packages that
> > make this necessary.  But just eliminating those packages is not
> > much of a fix. TeX is needed for formatting GNU documentation.  It
> > is vital for gNewSense to include a usable copy of TeX.  So if the
> > Debian packages can't be used, we need other packages to replace
> > them.
> >
> > Are people working on supplying valid TeX packages?
>
> (Moving discussion to our development list.)

> The issue is that ams-latex was released under a non-free license,
> but that was not intentional. We've been in contact with AMS (the
> copyright holders of ams-latex) about a license change. They agreed
> to adopt the LaTeX Project Public License for future version. We
> asked if older versions could be retroactively dual-licensed somehow,
> but didn't get a response to that (yet).

IIRC it was "We'll relicence RSN, we'll let you know when its done".
Thats the basis we released gns 2.3 [1] on 5 (?) months ago. AFAIK we've
not heard back and our metad branch hasn't had it re-included.

[1] for 2.3 we included a note saying 'ams said they would give us a
new licence soon, we'll update the package when we get it'.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au