Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense-MIPS, Yeelong and SiliconMotion video driv

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense-MIPS, Yeelong and SiliconMotion video driver
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:00:52 -0500

    Yes, we have capable and highly motivated people to work on this project.

I know of a few jobs that need doing:

* Finish getting the Siliconmotion graphics driver adapted and installed.
I think this will improve performance on jobs such as playing videos,
which right now is often so slow it effectively doesn't work at all.

* Debug the causes of crashes that happen from time to time.
This would require someone who is good at debugging Linux,
and a set-up making it possible to examine the machine when it crashes.

(I get Linux error messages every time I unhibernate my machine.  They
don't seem to cause any other problem, but they will make users worry.)

* Improve power management, if possible.  This would require
working very closely with Lemote.

* Get the latest version of Network Manager installed.

* Fix a lot of miscellaneous bugs that have been reported.
For instance, I recently saw that TeX was not available in gNewSense
because there is a non-free program in the Debian packages
for TeX.  There's nothing hard about rebuilding the packages
without that program, but nobody had time to do this.

Maybe this has now been done, but there are surely many other such jobs
waiting to be done.