[Gnewsense-dev] Re: No xv?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: No xv?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:01:12 -0500

    > To changing the package control file without rebuilding it.

    This is not feasible on the long run, as Karl has explained.

I have not seen an explanation, only a statement claiming this is so.

    > We need to alter the binary package, I guess.

    No, the reliable way to do it is to modify xorg's debian/control file,
    but IIUC Karl thinks this is not a modification worth doing.

There are many reliable ways to do this.  If one way is too much work,
let's consider others.  If the solution that would be ideal in
principle is too much trouble, it does not follow that we should
leave the problem unfixed.

    > Can't that be done by patching it with a script rather than
    > rebuilding it?

    No, that's (practically) possible in certain situations, but that way
    leads to madness and all kinds of problems that are hard to
    debug/analyze/fix.

Maybe in some cases it would, but the case I have suggested
is very limited and cannot have such consequences.