Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense on Lemote YeeLoong for Absolute Beginners

From: Cato Auestad
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense on Lemote YeeLoong for Absolute Beginners
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 07:04:36 +0200

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:53 AM, David Sterry <address@hidden> wrote:

> its probably a good idea to let folks know that various bits of doco
> are in development.  publishing it to the list that a major/minor
> revision is being release.
>
> i don't know if you guys want or need all the background discussion on
> the list or not.

I think it's great to see on the list. I normally just read but haven't
had much to contribute. When I saw this document, I opened up the .texi
and just went through it with an eye for English grammar. Perhaps the
document is in too early a stage for that but I'm emailing my modified
version of gns.texi anyway. If it's useful, great...if not I'm always
available if such editing is necessary later.

Thanks for your contributions! I have recieved Kim's version and have migrated the changes into my main document. I will go through your version too and merge the changes and send out an updated version. There is no doubt that this is a rather bad way of keeping an updated version of the document at all times so it problably would be nice to have some kind of version control system. However, I do not know how to set up something like that and where to do it, so I might need some help with this. If there is being put up something like this, we would problably need some routines about committing and somewhere to discuss changes.

I am currently also working on improving the section on gNewSense and Lemote with some general information about the project and company.

Thanks for your interest!

Best regards,
Cato

> yes i have been thinking about how to maintain documentation with a
> number of authors. sometimes a wiki isn't the right way, but a nice
> place to put the final version for a major/minor release.
>
> you probably don't want new folks stumbling upon a draft mid-edit with
> conflicting directives...
You could install Wordpress somewhere and allow a couple of authors to
login, I've found it has pretty slick revision control, a full screen
editing mode, and is now my preferred place to draft essays and blog posts.

Thanks,

David Sterry