Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [bug #38001] Kernel metapackages (linux-latest-2.6)

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [bug #38001] Kernel metapackages (linux-latest-2.6) refer to missing Debian kernel versions
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 20:16:53 +1100

Marek Buras <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 09:20:13PM +0100, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> > Great minds think alike. I've been doing the same and missed your
> email
> > between hacking and stuffing my face. Luckily our solutions are very
> > much alike, so it must be right. The only real difference is that I
> > modified debian/control via debian/templates/control.source.in.
> Kernel
> > packages are fussy that way.
> >

> 8-) I saw your comments under the bug report yesterday and learned yet
> another
> new thing about packaging the kernel. However there is still a lot to
> learn
> before I'll be able to "close" #37522, which really bothers me. This
> #37522 is
> important for me because network installation will be impossible in my
> environment (currently it's possible, because installer uses kernel
> version
> which have support for 8169)

Its a common chipset, hopefully you can bully it in to line :)

> > I also added a short README.gNewSense. This can serve as a quick
> > reference for users and developers about the diff between Debian and
> > gNewSense instead of having to look through the changelog. I noticed
> > haven't done that for all packages yet.
> >

> Do you mean all packages for the kernel or all recent gNewSense
> packages? If
> it's the latter, I can go through (at least) all packages I was
> involed with
> and add this file (if that helps or make things easier for you).

Ideally all packages we change would have one (and I guess all that we create;
though iirc we have something doco'd about that). I don't know if we have a
template for README.gNewSense but it would probably be worth having a template
in our wiki with a few example headings to get people on the right track which
can be referenced by our packaging documents.

thanks
kk