[Gnewsense-dev] Installation on a Thinkpad X60 (i386) with libreboot

From: mark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Installation on a Thinkpad X60 (i386) with libreboot
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 12:51:07 +0200

Hi there,
I installed Ucclia on a Thinkpad X60 with libreboot.
That's what I came across so far:

- internal disk is detected as /dev/sdb and the usb key as
/dev/sda (but no problem because 'Libreboot uses the GRUB payload by default, which means that the GRUB configuration file (where your GRUB menu comes from) is stored directly alongside libreboot and it's GRUB payload executable, inside the flash chip.' -> 'you don't have to install the GRUB boot loader to the master boot record' so no need of setting up Grub on your hard disk)

- Uncheck desktop environment when reaching tasksel -> otherwise the installation cancels

- black screen after reboot -> I managed to get to the console by rebooting the system with the keyboard shortcut again

- Installation of xfce and slim display manager -> works fine

- Problem with high whining noise by the processor on idle: powertop solves this problem: http://libreboot.org/docs/misc/index.html

- apt-get install libstdc++
or been moved out of Incoming.

Somebody might be interested to meet up at the Chaos Computer Conferene in Hamburg on the 27th of December and the following days? We could maybe write a revised documentation together.

Cheers,
mark