Re: [gNewSense-users] Official gNewSense forums?

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Official gNewSense forums?
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:04:23 +0000

On 04/11/06, Brian Brazil <address@hidden> wrote:

Paul and I also made a decision some time ago that we wouldn't have forums,
as we consider mailing lists better. Having to go to N forums to help people
with various project doesn't scale, but having it all land in my inbox does.

I totally agree, because for me I already have a good habit of
checking email regularly, but a less powerful habit of checking web
fora.

However, this suits me because I am a heavy email user and am very
savvy with email. For most people, there is too steep a learning curve
in scaling email from individualised personal use to community
discusssion.

For them, there is a conceptual advantage of a web forum; Is that it
is easy for non-developer users of a GNU+Linux system to pop into a
website, search the posts easily and find existing community solutions
to their problem.

If they want to become more than totally passive - and many dont - it
is also more straightforward for them to sign up quickly, post a
question, bookmark that thread, and check only that thread for an
answer, and then not spend any attention on the forum until they need
to use it again.

So GMane or whatever web based view of mailing lists should aim to
accomodate this kind of use, imo :-)

--
Regards,
Dave