Re: [gNewSense-users] Official gNewSense forums?

From: Benj. Mako Hill
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Official gNewSense forums?
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 22:54:58 -0800

<quote who="Brian Brazil" date="Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 10:51:05AM +0000">
> As MJ has pointed out, dividing up the community is bad, which is
> why we currently only have one mailing list and one IRC channel.

On the other hand, so is waiting. At Ubuntu, we massively
underestimated the importance of forums to users. The unofficial
forums quickly became the largest and most important source for
information for most users of Ubuntu. Divisions between the forums
community and the developer community led to a whole long series of
headaches that we're still dealing with more than two years later and
well over a year after we blessed the unofficial forums as official.

Community wise, if there is one thing I would go back and do
differently with Ubuntu, it would be to launch with forums. That
doesn't means forums are necessary or that GMANE won't cut it for this
group -- it's just meant to be a data point. :)

> We'll create more as needed.

This is always the wisest thing. One thing we did at Ubuntu was to
encourage people to post using ad-hoc "[topic]" style subjects on
mailing lists. When you saw a lot of one "[topic]" we'd create a new
list -- but never before.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
address@hidden

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS