Re: [gNewSense-users] Upgrading from Dapper

From: Dean Linkous
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Upgrading from Dapper
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:20:08 -0800

>From: address@hidden
>
>Question:
>    Will this remove all the ubuntu artwork, logos, splash screens and such?
> >Are there any non-free leftovers with method?

The current method http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/UpgradingFromUbuntuDapper
looks like it will leave the ubuntu-kernel, as well as linux-restricted-modules
and may leave some artwork around also. Of course some ubuntu artwork is
usually  hiding in a gnewsense install anyway so not a big deal IMO. You won't
be running the ubuntu kernel but it is likely a choice on the grub menu screen
since it is still installed.

Installing gnewsense-desktop means that if you have uninstalled some stuff like
openoffice or other package that is part of the desktop meta package then that
stuff will be reinstalled. Of course I doubt most people uninstall stuff so
likely not a issue.

You can take a look at the scripts I use to convert my dapper installs to
gnewsense http://communia.nrvitsquad.com/gNewConvertDap.tar.gz
Use at your own risk of course! :)

Dean