Re: [gNewSense-users] Mplayer-plugin

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Mplayer-plugin
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:44:47 +0000

On 2/23/07, Kevin Dean <address@hidden> wrote:
Up until very recently, MPLayer was rather lax about licensing. They
included code that was restricted by patents.

As of Oct. 2006, they have done a review of their code and cleaned
some of this up. They have removed DeCSS code (illegal in some areas)
and linked against a different library.

Because of this cleanup, mplayer might actually make it into Debian,
which will mean it will eventually work it's way into Ubuntu. However,
it's a recent development, and a lot of people may still have
reservations about using it.

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/mplayer

It has been there since October, but it's not in Etch.

GIven gNS's reluctance to include iffy media formats, it might not
ever make it into gNS.

I wasn't aware of any media formats that we have explicitly removed.

Brian