[gNewSense-users] iso -> data -> iso

From: andrei raevsky
Subject: [gNewSense-users] iso -> data -> iso
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:31:40 -0500

Hi,

I have a small question about CD formats:

Let's say that I take, for example, a gNewSense CD and boot from my hard drive and then stick the gNewSense CD into the disk drive and then copy all its contents unto the hard drive.  How could I then do the opposite, i.e., stick a blank CD into the CD burner and re-create a bootable iso image with all the data which I have taken from the original CD and make another bootable gNewSense CD?

I am not asking this because I want to copy a gNewSense (or any other CD) - I know how to do that, but because I want to understand the difference between a bootable CD and a CD with exactly the same data on it, but which is not bootable because of burning an ISO image on it, data taken from a bootable CD has been copied to a hard disk and only from there to the blank CD.

Does this make sense?

Many thanks for any pointers (including links to whatever I should RTFM)

Andrei