Re: [gNewSense-users] Show us the Code?

From: Kevin M. Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Show us the Code?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:16:21 -0500

Ringo, I'm sure your intent with that was good, but I kind of find it
ironic you picked both global warming and smoking. I disagree with the
concept of global warming. Up until 3 weeks ago, I was also a smoker.

I think you proved my point EXACTLY.

gNewSense is not "marketed" as an alternative to Windows. It is
"marketed" as a Free Software distro. This mean that by *nature* it
stands against the restrictive licenses, digital rights mutilation,
treacherous computing, crippling at the hands of patents and other
threats to Freedom.

Apple's Mac OS X is *just* as restrictive as the Microsoft EULA. Apple
probably holds as many "software patents" as Microsoft does. When we
begin challenging MS to do things, but don't make that same challenege
to *everyone* meeting those circumstances, we not only look like
hypocrits, but we're also damaging our own mission. It leaves people
with the impression that Mac OS X is more acceptable than Windows.

I personally think our collective energy would be better spent educating
people as to why broad patents are a problem, rather than worrying about
Microsoft's (or any one company's) misuse of them.

- -Kevin