Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses

From: Paul O'Malley
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNS accepted licenses
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 07:56:48 +0100

Koh Choon Lin wrote:
>> gNewSense does not, has not and will not redefine the defintion of
>> Free Software. It has always been four-freedom centric. The freedoms
>> existed BEFORE there was a GPL, before there was a "Free Software
>> License". Threats to the four freedoms motivated RMS to do something -
>> it's why there is "Free Software" to this day.
>
> I must agree that gNewSense is one of the very few GNU/Linux
> distributions that actively enforce the state of the freedom of
> software. However, I would like to see the practical side of the
> situation, which is also the same situation that led RMS to come up
> with freedom #3 (that is, there are just too much software in the
> world).

too much non free software perhaps where free is not price!
> Thus, I would like to ask if the gNewSense project is going to
> actively verify the free-ness of each and every piece of software even
> though they are already GPL-ed?
If you want to help download the source for the 1.1 tarball and pick
part of the repos and work on that, announce it and document it, be
empowered we are not stopping you. You don't have to ask, we would
encourage it. If you want a hand starting off I suggest talking with
Karl about laying out your info on a wiki page.

Root

  -----> Branch

          ------> Sub Branch

Starting out with a page like that where root is A / B / C

and then the packages get split out below with an

ls -al and okay written beside the ones you check

There ya go - its a plan ;-)

Regards,

Paul

Regards,