Re: [gNewSense-users] [Fwd: Gobuntu released confirmed as 18 October]

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Fwd: Gobuntu released confirmed as 18 October]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:46:03 -0400

Richard Stallman doesn't believe that things like that actually need
to be libre - they're non-functional as he says. I respectfully
disagree with him on that regard - the fundimental belief that led me
to Free Software is that restricting the spread of INFORMATION is
unethical, and music, art and documentation are all information.

Debian ALSO requires that those things be Free - a view I share.

That said, I'd rather have all free software and some non-free art
than free art and some non-free software. gNewSense removes all of the
non-free stuff (binary blobs). I HOPE that as there's more people able
to do it, and gNEwSense rebases that we'll get to a point where we can
reject non-free art as well. For now, we simple don't have the
developer power to pull it off. The things in gNS now are there can be
explained quite easiyl "They're in Ubuntu".

-Kevin