Re: [gNewSense-users] How free is Gobuntu compared to gNewSense?

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] How free is Gobuntu compared to gNewSense?
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:11:37 +0100

Romel Sandoval <address@hidden> writes:
> Mono, Samba and Gnash non-free?

> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gobuntu/pkg-non-free

Looks like they haven't put much thought into this.

For one example, I know that the Gnash devs don't to any reverse
engineering.  They're not allowed install the Adobe software at all, they
only examine Flash movies.

Further, in the USA they have a policy of not even hiring anyone who has
installed the Adobe Flash player ever (which, IIRC, means they can almost
never hire people in the USA).

For Samba, I don't know their procedures, but having worked with the main
developers on the EU anti-trust case, I know that they're well aware of the
need for legal care.  (Note: not to imply I worked closely with them.  Carlo
Piana and Georg Greve did most of the work for FSFE on that.)

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan __________________ \ Support Free Software and GNU/Linux
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \     Join FSFE's Fellowship: