Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV: GPL without version - does COPYING apply or n

From: Luis Alberto Guzmán García
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV: GPL without version - does COPYING apply or not?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:48:07 -0500

El sáb, 12-04-2008 a las 15:33 +0300, Markus Laire escribió:
> Copyright holder can also explicitly state "GPLv2 or later" in which
> case COPYING-file clearly doesn't apply.

I agree, i received an answer form a copyright holder that says

"If no explicit license version is written down in the driver, it's
licensed under the global kernel license, which is GPLv2."

And after thinking about it that makes much simple the work.

No license --> GNU GPLv2 (only) - is taken as part of the kernel
No version --> GNU GPLv2 (only) - because of COPYING message form Linus
GNU GPLv2 or later --> GPLv2 or later (GPLv3 on later works *could*
apply)

This way we would be respecting the GPL, the copyright holder, and the
Linus (other copyright holder) note.

"Linux" is a trade mark, if somebody make a fork form it, allowing the
GPLv2 or later (as the GPL says), without restriction, it could apply
the GPLv3, then the GPLv2 or later from this kernel could apply.

I recall the GO-OO and OO.o, OpenOffice case.

Now it should apply GNUv2 or GNUv2 or later
for this cases. Am i correct?

Markus what do you think?, Sam?
Any constructive comment?