Re: [gNewSense-users] Intel's excuse for non-free WiFi binary firmware

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Intel's excuse for non-free WiFi binary firmware
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 09:56:48 -0400

I'm not entirely sure that's true. The Wifi on the Openmoko Freerunner
doesn't contain Microcode (I don't think...) but the GSM system DOES.
I know that in the UK a modifyable GSM system is unlawful but I don't
beleive the same is true in the US.

I'm going to venture to guess that this is a half-truth at best...
Even if it's the full truth, there are STILL wifi drivers that do not
contain microcode so it's kind of irrelevant. It's illegal to crack
DRM in the USA but it doesn't mean there are no Free Software
applications to bypass that DRM. :)