[gNewSense-users] Binary blob in Xen patch?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Binary blob in Xen patch?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:37:02 +0200

In section debian/binary-custom.d/xen/patchset there's a big file called 001-xen-base.patch. It contains three kinds of things:

- patches to existing files: unless there's comments saying otherwise, the license is the same as the original file. I didn't bother to look those files up, because the applied patch would be deleted with the original file if the license is too restrictive.

- whole new files: I looked at those like I would at any other file.

- two binary blobs: vsyscall-int80.so and vsyscall-int80.so.dbg. These seem to be compiled ELF. I have the feeling that they sneaked in there because someone forgot to do make clean, rather than them being deliberately proprietary, because there are other vsyscall files in the source code tree. Of course, that doesn't prove anything, so I tried looking for a Makefile that could produce these files. I couldn't find anything, but then again it's not really something I'm very knowledgeable in.

Any other ideas on where those blobs came from or whether they actually have any use?