[gNewSense-users] Re: GNewSenseToMIPS: situation and perspectives

From: Danny Clark
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: GNewSenseToMIPS: situation and perspectives
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:15:11 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
> I think, optimization does matter somehow. Just 2 examples:
>
> - the Lemote developers have optimized mplayer for the godson cpu.
>
> - on my fuloong box #1, which has the original OpenRays distro installed, the
> BogoMips value approx. 500-600.
> On my box #2 with another kernel on it, the value is 132 approx. I do know,
> that
> that value should'nt be used for performance rating, still there is a
> difference
> that results eventually from some optimizations.

We could probably just deal with it like Debian deals with
i386/i486/i586/i686/etc; eg have the base be the lowest common
denominator, but have packages that have been optimized for specific
processors still available.

A question is if we would want to host these packages in gNewSense repos
only, or try to get them included in upstream debian and then pull them.
The former may be advocated for on a political basis; on a technical
basis I would think the later would make more sense as they would
probably then reach a wider audience, an

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny