Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages?

From: Danny Clark
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:51:58 -0500

Fabian Ezequiel Gallina wrote:
> 2008/12/23 Graziano Sorbaioli <address@hidden>:
>> Is there some reason we should duplicate x86_32 and x86_64 architectures?
>>
>> Why don't we have only the debian ones?
>>
>> Most people I know of feel more comfortable with debian than with ubuntu.
>>
>> And as someone already said, from a beginner point of view there are not
>> so many differences imho.
>> Newbie users watch to the desktop enviroment and gui (gnome for both
>> debian and ubuntu).
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> I think Graziano is right, however I have to tell you that the default
> desktop environment installed by Ubuntu and by Debian are a little bit
> different, being Ubuntu the most user friendly. I think this has to be
> because Ubuntu contains more updated packages of gnome than Debian
> (even in Lenny) but I think and hope this will change in no longer
> time (after the release of Lenny).
>
> It could be a task for gNewSense to not only free Debian's main
> repository and kernel but also enhance the desktop experience by
> making the necessary changes to its default configuration.
>
> I think that basing the distribution on Debian will give to gNewSense
> the possibility to run on the many platforms that Debian already
> supports (including MIPS of course).
>
> Please take this just as an user opinion.

Ubuntu vs. Debian is like emacs vs vi - people talk a lot and everyone
loses. There are good points on both sides. I'd like for gNewSense (or
gNewSense and whatever we decide to call a Debian-derived gNewSense if
it happens) to not lose and have the widest possible audience.

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny