Re: [gNewSense-users] Cyrillic presentation in gNS wiki

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Cyrillic presentation in gNS wiki
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:16:38 +0100

Karl Goetz schreef:
I also stumbled upon some interesting comments to consider before
using UTF-8 (in scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php):

     This script configures PmWiki to use utf-8 in page content and
     pagenames.  There are some unfortunate side effects about PHP's
     utf-8 implementation, however.  First, since PHP doesn't have a
     way to do pattern matching on upper/lowercase UTF-8 characters,
     WikiWords are limited to the ASCII-7 set, and all links to page
     names with UTF-8 characters have to be in double brackets.
     Second, we have to assume that all non-ASCII characters are valid
     in pagenames, since there's no way to determine which UTF-8
     characters are "letters" and which are punctuation.

That sounds like a problem.
Guess we'll have to look into encodings that are not utf-8.
I have a test wiki here, but its a different version to the current
live site (i'll need to setup a copy of the live site pre testing all
these settings out).
kk

So you want to separate the wiki into parts with different encoding? Sounds like about as much trouble as moving to utf-8 with it's problems. I guess it also depends on whether those issues could break the wiki or merely be an inconvenience.