Re: [gNewSense-users] Webapps infrastructure

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Webapps infrastructure
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:13:45 +0930

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:42:12 -0400
Jean Schurger <address@hidden> wrote:

> > What do we *need*?
> > - Wiki (community editable)
> > - Bug tracking system
> > - 'locked' website (eg, all our existing www. sites)
> > - supports translations cleanly
> > - all items must integrate
> > - A gmane thingy (what are these services called?)
> > - We have to be able to migrate all our existing data into the new
> > tools (preferably with data intact)
> >
> > What would be *desirable* (vs needed)?
> > - no track record of regular, large security issues
> > - scalable
> > - well documented
> > - integrates with RCSs (svn+bzr+git as a minimum)
> > - for the BTS, email interface
> > - web interface
>

> I would recommend 'trac' or 'redmine'

Trac I've worked with - briefly - redmine in new to me.

> about trac: (http://trac.edgewall.org/)
>
>  advantages:
>
>   - writen in python, so it easy to understand, write plugins,...

This is particularly nice, as the language its in doesn't need patching
every second day either...

>   - well maintained
>   - have the bugtracker, wiki, integrated with RCS (i'not sure for
> bzr)

I've quickly checked at http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/PluginList :

Subversion ΒΆ

 TracHacks:SvnAuthzAdminPlugin
    a plugin to allow the configuration of the svnauthz file from the
web inferface.
 TracHacks:TracSvnAuthzPlugin
    a simple web interface to edit the subversion authz files.
 TracHacks:TracSvnHooksPlugin
    a simple web interface to edit the subversion hook files.

Version Control Systems

 TracHacks:GitPlugin
    support for the  git DVCS
 TracHacks:PerforcePlugin
    support for the  Perforce VCS
TracMercurial
    support for the  Mercurial DVCS
TracDarcs
    support for the  Darcs DVCS
 Trac-Bzr
    support for the  Bazaar DVCS

Which covers the 3 key ones I set out.

>   - It have a nice xml-rpc API
>   - Well documented
>   - A nice web interface
>   - A lot of plugins

So it seems ;)

>  drawbacks:
>
>   - It realy requires plugins (which exists) for
>      *  users managment from an web interface
>      *  fine grained permissions (lock some wiki pages/namespace)
>   - It cannot handle multiple projects repositories

This last one could be a problem, as things like git/bzr let everyone
have a repository. (I'll do some research into this one I think).

> about redmine: (http://www.redmine.org/)
>
>  advantages:

(lots)

>  drawbacks:
>
>   - Writen in ruby (sorry rails lovers, but i think ruby it not the
> most easy language to learn)
>   - XML-RPC is provided by an external project (redmine_mylincon) and
> is not complete
>

> Both handles the 'mercurial' RCS which is very very efficient and easy
> to use.

Interesting project. Not sure I like the idea of ruby/rails on the
servers though.

kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)