Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense three years on

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense three years on
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 20:31:37 +0100

Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - schreef:
So where to now?

Brian and I had a chat about this. We feel that we have brought this
project as far as we can. We would like others to take the reigns.
The primary concern to the person or people who want to take over is
Software Freedom, pure and simple.

Does that mean you guys are leaving the project or just going to play a less prominent role?
depends on what happens next

Can you explain a bit what it means to fill one or both roles? That way people can see if they have the time and the skills that are needed and if they are interested.

"community leader"
"person to handle code"

so what they want is to understand what FSF compliant free is

if someone wanted to drive it to create a full distro great

this is to break from upstream either on a release by release basis and rebuild against a linux-libre kernel

the most that can be obtained from our build method which in itself was a large work designed to be repeatable

no matter what, what we did was designed to be repeatable

and we got a couple of full releases out the door and a couple of point releases

more than some less than others

we gave ourselves a primary goal of freeing ubuntu

we did that

a side effect we kind of forked the linux program (and survived ;-))

now what

if someone has the skills and wanted to take this project to downstream debian (given what has happened on the mipssel side)

or keep x86 from Ubuntu

and do other arches from Debian or some such

or build a full new distro

do this last one I will give a much shortened version of what needs to be done

create a source tree
build a base system

then expand that system to have its own build of gcc and other things to make a toolchain

then you would build a full set of packages

then you would package them
(if you want to have sane real life users)

and you would have to work out how you keep in touch with changes upstream

it is something that can be planned and executed

Sam, so I guess I am saying, what it entails, depends on the person who takes over.

NOTE THIS:

we picked the LTS on the basis that it was low maintenance

upstream does a lot of the work

So whoever this person or people are - go for it - your call.

the important thing is the sticking to Freedom

In any case, thanks for starting the distro and all the work you've done.
you are welcome

Happy anniversary, everybody, and congratulations to all of those who helped get us this far. I'm especially thinking of our freedom verifiers; it can be a bit boring sometimes, but someone's got to do it.

May our success multiply and let completely free software be ubiquitous in the following years.

with a bit of luck yes :)

Regards,
Paul