Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI chipset

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI chipset
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:04:11 -0400

Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> writes:

> Sébastien Doutreligne schreef:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Which ati chipsets to choose having free drivers supporting dual screen
>> mode?
>>
>> Freely.
>
> You might want to look at http://radeonhd.org/. It points to wikis,
> mailing lists and IRC channels to get more information.
>
> Note that gNewSense has an old version of the drivers, so your mileage
> may vary.

While I am not certain about dual screen mode, radeonhd.org is indeed
worth checking out for anyone with an ATI card that the radeonhd driver
handles.  Installing the latest version of the driver is very easy and
worthwhile.

E.g., my rotated video was too slow to use with the packaged radeon and
radeonhd drivers, but after installing one of the later radeonhd drivers
from source, video is now tolerable to use and, of course, does not
require the non-free firmware that is purged from any properly free
Linux kernel.  The driver is installed in a default location under
/usr/local and can coexist with any packaged driver that you might want
to keep around in case of problems.  The only thing I needed to do after
installing the driver was to make sure that /usr/local was searched
first for the driver by adding a ModulePath line to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
like this:

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        # path to defoma fonts
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
        ModulePath      "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection