Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Where's laptop advice? I started a wiki page..

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Where's laptop advice? I started a wiki page...
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 20:15:50 +0200

Ciaran O'Riordan schreef:
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> writes:
each with a table that has a column for each of the usual suspects (wifi,
3D, card reader, ...). Initialize with "?" and fill with "Y"/"N"/"n.a."
when tested. (Software) version numbers and a maturity level can also be
useful in some cases

That would be very useful - but in two ways, it would be difficult for some
people to contribute:

1. Learning new syntax is annoying.  Adding a sentence or a list item to the
   wiki is ok, but editing a table would require looking at syntax.
2. Some people will find it difficult either because they don't have the
   time to find these details, or they don't have the technical knowledge.

I think you're right that, in the long run, we do have to gather all that
info, so may as well start now - but we should find a way to gather that
info while also having a way for passers by to just scribble a sentence
somewhere.

Maybe keep the LaptopGuide page as-is and start a new LaptopDetails page
with the table you propose?

Good points. It doesn't have to be a table per se, I guess a bulleted list would be a good compromise between more detail and easy editing. Perhaps a template like:

? = unknown
Y = works with free software
N = doesn't work with free software
- = not applicable

New Laptop:
* 3D: ?
* Card reader: ?
* Wireless: ?
* ...: ?

People could just fill in the items they can and leave the more difficult ones to advanced users.

This is still not a very qualitative approach, because (as Yavor suggested) an "N" could be made into a "Y" by someone who is a bit more knowledgeable. But maybe the false "N"s get weeded out eventually.