Re: [gNewSense-users] Fan do not work

From: Mu
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Fan do not work
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 16:58:43 +0100

> Help! What can I do? I do not care start gNewSense more times for a few
> seconds/¿minutes? and try some commands.

Hello Daniel.

I think you are too worried. The motherboard (at least reasoably
modern ones) have mechanisms that automatically shut down the computer
when it is too heated.

Anyway, you can look at the temperature of your PC in this file:

/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature

I think that until 70º or 80º C, it is secure (normal temperature can
be arround 50º C).

When I had problem with fan, I monitored the temperature running in a terminal:

$ while ((1)) ; do clear ; cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
; sleep 10 ; done

And leaving this window above the others (it is a GNOME option
right-clicking in the window title, I don't know how is named in
english).

Hope it is useful.

Mu.