Re: [gNewSense-users] Playing Youtube videos from Totem .

From: Dmitry Samoyloff
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Playing Youtube videos from Totem .
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 22:27:35 +0300

Jason Self wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Dmitry Samoyloff wrote:
> > Gnash is a free software and it appears to be the second entry in
> > the FSF list
> > of high-priority projects. It is a free replacement of Adobe Flash
> > player and
> > it plays videos from YouTube. Watching YouTube videos is not equal to
> > supporting proprietary software.
>
> But watching YouTube does mean support supporting the use of
> proprietary patent-encumbered formats, even if the software used to
> view such a format is free.

FLV/F4V specs have no restrictions on implementation anymore. However, no
doubt, the patent-free solutions would be the better choice anyway. I just
wanted to say that *watching* some video on YouTube is not a sin by itself
IMHO.

> Personally, I agree with Luis Felipe López
> Acevedo. Supporting fully open, non-proprietary, patent-free
> technologies seems like the better stance to take.

I completely agree with that. BTW, why are you using Apple software then (no
offence, just curious ;-))?

--
Regards, Dmitry Samoyloff