Re: [gNewSense-users] runlevel 3 don't work

From: Richard
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] runlevel 3 don't work
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:55:08 +0100

Karl Goetz wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:56:04 +0100
Richard <address@hidden> wrote:

Karl Goetz wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 20:46:25 +0100
Richard <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

i would like to change the runlevel out of a terminal, but i
failed so far. I tried:

sudo telinit 3
than type my password

(telinit 6 is possible, but not 3)

Does it produce an error? you can check your runlevel with
`runlevel`.

No there is no error. With runlevel it says something like:

2 3

(I am not at home now)

But everything else stays. I thought runlevel 3 mens, there is no graphic support over startx. Only the command line.

By the side, some background about runlevel i have from opensuse,

On all Debian derived distributions, you have 3 effective runlevels:
0,1,6. 2,3,4,5 are all copies of 1, unless you customise them.
kk

I thought that even if the runlevel 2-5 are copies of one, every runlevel has some additions on 1.So where is the runlevel whitout graphic support? Only runlevel 1? I need some more Information witch runlevel supports what on the debian system.

My knowledge's in debian is low.

Could you say my how i can customize these runlevesl. In special that runlevel 3 has no graphic support. Or is there a howto about this issue.

The man pages are often so, that i can't realy understand them totally. Because they only tell me the commands on options, but no examples to use them.

Thanks Richard