[gNewSense-users] Problems with WLAN on USB

From: Cato Auestad
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Problems with WLAN on USB
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:24:05 +0100

Hi,

I am the unfortunate owner of a MacBook who uses a Broadcom-chipset. Me, being a newly converted FOSS-only user decided to buy a new USB WLAN adapter so I could use my MacBook completely with free software. I checked linuxwireless.co.uk and found the D-Link DWA-131 which the website tells me is using the ath5k driver. Also because of the size and the prize the USB adapter looks great. However, when it didnt work automagically when I plugged it in and rebooted my MacBook with gNewSense I did some googling and saw that Ubuntu do not have the ath5k driver included by default, and that the current kernel included in gNewSense do not have ath5k included either. So at first I downloaded the linux-backports-modules-hardy (I think its called) so I got the ath5k driver, but that didnt work, then I installed the new linux-libre 2.6.30 kernel which is supposed to have the ath5k driver included by default, and still, no go. So I am basically out of options.

TL;DR:
1) Own a MacBook with Broadcom -> Purchased D-Link DWA-131 USB WLAN which uses ath5k (because FOSS)
2) Not included in default kernel with gNewSense, installed linux-backports-modules-hardy to get ath5k
3) Installed the newest linux-libre-2.6.30 kernel after the above didnt work.
4) The above didnt work
5) Out of ideas, help?

Best regards,
Cato Auestad