[gNewSense-users] Earth Day gNewSense Multi-seat

From: Lars Nooden
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Earth Day gNewSense Multi-seat
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:43:23 +0300

Earth Day is next week on April 22nd.

Regardless of anyone's position on Earth Day, the price of energy, especially electricity, is going up and no one can give any backtalk about that fact. Also, most desktop systems, unless someone is actively typing or clicking, are nearly 100% idle most of the time.

It should be possible to configure X11 on gNewSense to run in multi-seat mode so that several users can sit at the same hardware and reducing electricity, heat and noise, and hardware needed per-user. Discussion and demonstration of multi-seat using gNewSense would be a way to directly reduce resource consumption while drawing attention to software Freedom. Schools, libraries, medium to large families, and even some businesses would benefit from this knowledge.

There are potentially a lot of local and regional projects that might also be interested and capable of putting together demo systems or tutorials. DIY is one of many. The Ohio Linux Fest might also be interested. There are a lot of eCycler and DIY groups. Or projects like LTSP and K12LTSP are two more. And companies like Userful, Inc, possibly yet another.

I didn't hear anything back from campaigns at fsf.org so I'll mention the idea here. The spare graphics card did not arrive this week, so all I can do is make noise about it and maybe dig out that theta pin a student gave me for the first Earth Day. Someone with a spare card and interest might be able to make a good write up either from an environmental perspective or economic or both.

/Lars