Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense irc channel split?

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense irc channel split?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:57:05 +0200

Il giorno venerdì 23/07/2010 22:48:44 CEST
<address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Today someone in the gNewSense irc channel proposed me to split
> #gnewsense in two different channels: one for support only and the
> other for offtopic chat only.

I figured that #gnewsense is for discussing about gNS in general and
also for support on it...

So, I can not understand what they mean with 'offtopic chat' in
#gnewsense...

Also I think that if someone in #gnewsense need to chat
'offtopic' they could open a private chat/room or join also to other
more in-topic for their off-topics channels...

In other words, if I love gNS and also want to chat about vegan
recipes then I could join both #gnewsense and #vegan-recipes...

> The aim should be to provide a better support service for our users.

Splitting people over different channels should not result in a better
support.

More, splitting the channel to keep #gnewsense strictly for support
should need this one to be continuously and "strongly" moderated to stay
without offtopic chat (otherwise splitting will have no sense).

It seems better to me just avoid abuses (i.e. too much offtopic chat,
trolls etc.) in #gnewsense (maybe useful if there will be more
"affordable" and "seriuos" OPs in the channel).

> Please tell me what you think about this idea.

Better do not split :-)

Regards
al3xu5 / dotcommon

--