Re: [gNewSense-users] Need help to connect Internet in Debian linux with

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Need help to connect Internet in Debian linux with gnome
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 22:00:16 -0700

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 08:43 +0530, Shay Tosan wrote:

> I am very new in this linux world

It should actually be called GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

Here's a link if you're not familiar with the GNU operating system (the
link is rather long, so line wrapping in your email client may break the
link -- just copy each portion & re-create the entire thing.)

http://www.r-statistics.com/wp-content/uploads/podcasts/Richard%
20Stallman%20speach%20at%20useR2010%20-%20Talk.ogg

> I have dual boot up system with me windows 7 and linux.

I do hope that you'll be able to get rid of the proprietary software in
your life. This speech from Bradley M. Kuhn provides a great
introduction to free software if you're not familiar with it.

http://audio-video.gnu.org/audio/#FSS04

> Now my real problem is I am not getting internet connected in linux so
> please help me out how can do so.
> I have broadband connection which requires username and password but I
> don't know how can I get that dialer like thing in linux.
>
> So please help me out to solve my problem that how can I get connected
> to internet in Debian with gnome.

It would be helpful if you could provide more details. All that I can
tell from this is that you are having problems. Can you please provide
some further specifics? Just as a start, the make/model of your
computer? How are you connecting to the internet? What with hardware?
How is it connected? What happens when you try to connect to the
internet (any sights, sounds, or smells?) Does this only happen in
gNewSense or with the other operating systems that you're using as well?

Anything else you can think of to include is helpful. The more
information the better. You can never say too much. :)

http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html