Re: [gNewSense-users] Booting Directly into The Terminal

From: Siddharth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Booting Directly into The Terminal
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 18:56:25 +0530

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 09:12 +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 20:55:47 +0300
> "Vladimir B. Tsarkov" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Good evening!
> >
> > > I use gNewSense 2.3, Is it possible to boot directly into the
> > > Terminal without starting GNOME and only firing up GNOME when
> > > needed ? .
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > It is possible. Try to move the
> > file called "gdm" from the /etc/init.d directory
> > to a safe place in your home directory.
>
> Please don't.
> use update-rc.d to modify the init system, or install sysv-rc-conf and
> use that.

Thanks for the directions Karl Goetz.

I installed sysv-rc-conf and I disabled 'gdm' at runlevel 2 and my
computer is successfully booting directly into the Terminal and I able
to start GNOME with the 'startx' command, but now I am not able to
'Shutdown' my system throught GNOME and to shutdown from the Terminal I
need Adminstrator's privilege,Therefore it is needed that I log in to my
other account ( with Adminstrator's privilege ) to shutdown my system.Is
there a way now,after disabling 'gdm' at runlevel 2,to shutdown my
system through GNOME without needing Adminstrator's privilege ?, please
give me directions.

Thanks your help.

--
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to
your grandmother.