Re: [gNewSense-users] [en] FSFLA's petition for Canaima GNU/Linux to be

From: avr
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [en] FSFLA's petition for Canaima GNU/Linux to be Free
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:44:13 +0100

Hi,

> The Venezuelan Presidential Decree 3390, specifically in articles 2
> and 7, explains and backs up the reasons why the Venezuelan state
> should develop a Free Software distribution.  Canaima GNU/Linux is
> this distribution, so it ought to be a Free distribution, without
> parts that threaten its users' freedoms.
> http://www.gobiernoenlinea.ve/docMgr/sharedfiles/Decreto3390.pdf

Is there any reason named in this decree why the Venezuelan state should
develop a Free Software distribution instead of adopting gnewSense ?
Is it their wish to cater to already existing computers which already
contain hardware for which free drivers are not available ?
I'm not really worried about there being 'too many' distributions. But
as I came to understand it, they were looking specifically for a
very free distribution to guarantee self determination of their computer
infrastructure, a role which befits gnewSense very well.

It seems to me it would be easier for them to dedicate resources to translations
and optionally rebranding of gnewSense than to arduously re-discover the path
to software freedom.

(Additionally, on a higher level, it provides less ground to potential
detractors
to participate in an already global project and add a local scope to it than to
start
your own projects from within a local scope, especially if the decision
to adopt Free Software is politically driven. But this is only as an aside to
my original question.)

Is gnewSense not visible enough that people specifically looking for a free
operating
system will find it and think, "This is (almost) exactly what I need!" ?

Is gnewSense generally seen as a distribution for the English speaking world ?

In short, are there any reasons/hurdles as to why gnewSense is not seen as the
default 'go to' Free Software distribution in any language ?
(maybe it already is, but I missed it completely because I do not speak those
languages. But
then I'd love to hear that from people who are aware of such developments)

As for the specific petition for Canaima GNU/Linux to be Free. Maybe it would
be good to simply petition to make every effort possible to be included in
the FSF's free distribution list (http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html),
which would automatically preclude the use of privative software. It would
show that developing a free distribution can be done (since others already
exist) and they would not be alone in the effort (they are not being held
to 'special standards' in regards to excluding proprietary software). It would
also
serve to remind them of their commitment to Software Freedom and self
determination.
As such it might be a good idea for the FSF sister organizations to adopt the
list of completely Free Software distributions as published by the FSF to show
their adoption is desirable outside of the US as well. (I know the FSF isn't
US specific, but it's not hard to see how it can be interpreted that way
when FSFs exist specifically for other parts of the world. )

Thank you for reading.

        friendly,
        Andreas