Re: [gNewSense-users] Slow boot

From: Lars Nooden
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Slow boot
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:58:03 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Lars Nooden wrote:
Also, I am surprised to find that some of the CF connectors coming loose physically, ruining the card.

I haven't used the slot much, but thanks for the warning. It would be good to report that to the shop you bought it from and/or Lemote directly.

It is the connectors on the chip itself. See the place where the pins go in is a different piece:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CompactFlash_Sandisk_4GB_ExtremeIII.jpg

The SD slot works fine, though it would be better if the SD chip could be inserted all the way in like it can be on some other brands of netbook.

I have an Addonics adapter to put the squarish CF themselves in place of the hard drive. Those connectors on the chip itself came loose. The SD CF are all one piece and can't come apart in the same way, but the old kind are several pieces, as seen in the image link above if you look closely, and the part with the pins can come loose. I got one from the store that was loose out of the box, another loosened over time.

Regards,
/Lars Nooden