Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense webadmin samba

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense webadmin samba
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 20:48:35 +0200

richard wrote:
I would prefer different usable runlevel. I know they are managed in init-files, but i am a little bit scared to change them, once i had the problem to change them back. So for me it would be good, if there where some pre-definited inti-files. Runlevel 3, would be init3, and the users get only a console, runlevel5, the users get xstart graphic interface, and a runlevel 6 or higher, the users get out-dor-network and out-dor-safty. The problem i have, is that i don't know witch standard programs have to be started for my runlevel 3 and i don't know all the other programs that should get started at runlevel 5. So i just have to take what gnewsense is offering. The best would be a graphical interface, witch has a default configuration, so if you switch one program to a higher or lower runlevel, you could see where this program usual was getting started. I know, not easy. Even if gnewsense only offer one sort of init-files, it could offer also just an other arrangement oft this runlevels, so that a user could chose witch he is prefering.

Perhaps you will find the sysv-rc-conf package useful. Also read the descriptions in the /etc/init.d/ files to help determine what scripts you want to enable/disable. The gdm script has to do with starting the graphical environment. Coupling wifi to a runlevel is trickier and probably involves writing a custom init script.

I meant, that the install routine of gnewsense offer right now one form of installation, desktop. But it could also offer an gnewsense server installation, with special packages. Or not?

It could, if someone would do the work to make that happen.

And my real wish would be, that some programmers would manage more/better interfaces for networkcard, user-manager, and a lot other things, like in yast. I know there are the configuration files. So yes, if there will be no other choice, some day i will have to use them or i can't use gnewsense. But may I am just not able to handle all this files and may this is a problem, witch keeps people out of gnewsense.

Both GNOME and KDE have graphical applications for many system administration tasks.