Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:18:33 -0500

2013/12/27 Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden>
Op Fri, 27 Dec 2013 02:57:59 -0200
schreef Guilherme Vieira <address@hidden>:

> A community that will pick, say, Xorg, and say "okay, we will make
> this work on such and such and such platforms, and it will be
> guaranteed to work and be tested on those platforms, and you will be
> allowed to change such and such configuration parameters and that's
> it." Such configuration parameters should be grandma-friendly, be
> incapable of bricking the graphical interface, and have a graphical
> interface to tweak them. It shall be called Xorg-unf**ked or
> Xorg-that-actually-works.

I think good (or at least publicly available) hardware specs would go a
long way in solving graphics problems. If you want to spend money, give
it to projects that create hardware with freedom/openness as a core
value [1].

I'd like to add that the FSF has a page with certified hardware that Respects Your Freedom [11]. Recently, some laptops with Coreboot were added to the list [12]. It could be a good reference when buying new hardware that works well with free distributions.

[11] http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
[12] http://www.fsf.org/news/gluglug-x60-laptop-now-certified-to-respect-your-freedom

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo