Re: [gNewSense-users] sudo for default user?

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] sudo for default user?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:40:56 +0100

> After a fresh install of gNS, the user created doesn't appear to have
> sudo privileges. I'm not sure why gNS is designed that way.

It's a default from Debian.  The expert installer probably allows
configuring sudo by default.

> Is there a
> security advantage here? It is unlike Trisquel or Ubuntu and I'm
> curious why.

I think there isn't; sudo has usability improvements and can be
configured for more secure uses (e.g. allowing some users access to only
some commands, or some passwordless commands).

> What is the most efficient way of granting that user sudo
> privileges after an installation?

"gpasswd -a USER sudo" will add the user to the "sudo" group which
probably is used for this.  Check /etc/sudoers if it is.