[gNewSense-users] (no subject)

From: Paul A. Crable
Subject: [gNewSense-users] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 21:20:18 -0000

This morning I started my computer only to find that about 20% of my
applications had disappeared from the Applications menus.  When I went to
search for them, the file search program was among the missing.  I looked
for the timekeeping program I had been using by running mlocate with the
argument "time".  I received over 2,000 hits, and I won't live long enough
to examine each one.

I would like to know how it happened, what to do about it, and how to
prevent it in the future.

I'm afraid this is a show-stopper and will put an end to my love affair
with GNU/Linux.  A year ago I abandoned DOS/Windows, with which I had
system-level involvement for 40 years, and moved to GNU/Linux.  I am
enjoying myself but the problems have been legion and any more like this,
I regret to say, will drive back into the arms of the convicted monopolist
of Redmond.

Paul
--
Paul A. Crable.  Portland, Ore.  U.S.A.