Re: gnokii dialout problems, 6110

From: Nick Andrew
Subject: Re: gnokii dialout problems, 6110
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:55:32 +1000

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:30:49AM +0200, BORBELY Zoltan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 01:08:45AM +1000, Nick Andrew wrote:
> >    Also, PPP doesn't seem to like being supplied with the name of a
> >    symlink (/dev/gnokii). I had to hardcode /dev/pts/N into ppp's
> >    control file /etc/ppp/peers/PEERNAME. I think that mgnokiidev
> >    should create a device special file as /dev/gnokii, not a symlink
> >    to it.
>
> Maybe a hard link?

A hard link cannot be created, because /dev and /dev/pts are different
filesystems (/dev/pts is a kernel-generated filesystem of type devpts).
So /dev/gnokii should be created as a new device special file (character,
major=136, minor=0+).

My point is that most users of gnokiid will want it to make a ppp
connection, so let's make it work with pppd by changing mgnokiidev
to create a device special file instead of a symlink.

Nick.