RE: Marcin announces... mygnokii2

From: Robert Steinhäußer
Subject: RE: Marcin announces... mygnokii2
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:49:12 +0200 (CEST)

Hello list,

> You did not understand me. This is version 0.0.1 and I'm thinking about
> structure, not license.

Basically: The moment anybody takes code from a GPL'd program and puts it
into his own program, his program has to be GPL. No changes possible.
(That's what M$ meant with "spreads like a cancer".)

You definitely want to consider the license type before giving ANY
program/source out to the public. Or do you e.g. want to be held liable
for ANY damages caused by your software? Besides securing your rights,
this is the main issue of any software license.

> I will add GNU GPL or other compatible. What
> could you recommend me ?

gnokii is GPL. If you use code from gnokii in your program, then your
program must be GPL. Read the GPL if you don't believe me. Do it NOW.

While you're reading it, see if it offends with your goals. I've heard of
compiler licenses forbidding the licensee to write GPL programs. If this
reveals a conflict, then you will *have to* get rid of the GPL'd code in
your program. If that causes no problem, then you may use any GPL'd code
as much as you like, as long as your program stays GPL'd. Oh, and GPL also
means that you cannot sell the code/program ("free as in speech").

> I won't make war or something (although I could theoretically, like I
> said).

I'll ignore this line, as it has NOTHING to do with the whole discussion.
This line make you sound like a child, bitching around without thinking.

BTW: I'm not a lawyer, just a CS student in his 4th semester. We talked
minimally about software licenses in general during 1st semester.

73, Robert
--
Robert Steinhäußer, DL1NC / N9KBK -- http://1409.org