Re: xgnokii: don't read all phonebook entries

From: Markus Plail
Subject: Re: xgnokii: don't read all phonebook entries
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:53:13 +0200

Hi Pal!

* Pal Tamas writes:
>Hi!
>On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:50:21 Markus Plail wrote:
>>What are the numbers in the xgnokii contacts window? Are they correct?
>>Because actually this code means that contacts are read until the
>>number of contacts, that the phone tells us are used, are read. So my
>>guess would be that this number is wrong. I am referring to the number
>>in th lower left corner of the contacts window.

>The numbers are correct.
>I forgot to explain the background of the problem...Here: It's the
>memory management of the SIM card's(and the phone's) memory.  It's a
>fixed length table.When you erase a contact, that entry gets erased
>status(or something like this). The entry remains erased until you save
>a contact there. So when you erase more contacts than add new, there'll
>be erased entries between the used ones. The phone only tells you the
>number of used entries in the questioned memory not the last used
>entry's index. F.ex: in my phone's memory there are 16 used entries out
>of 50, but the last entry is the 28th ...

That's just normal. It's the same with any other phone. So do you see
less contacts in the contacts windows than the number in the lower
left? The algorithm should work as follows.

Read contacts starting from 1
  if we find a valid entry increase read by 1
  if (read == used entries) stop the loop
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is the number in the lower left corner
  read next entry

So if you have less entries than that number the bug's in xgnokii. If
the number is wrong then there's a bug in the phone driver.

regards
Markus