Re: Mac OS X 10.2.1 - 6310i !(?)

From: Ruotger . Skupin
Subject: Re: Mac OS X 10.2.1 - 6310i !(?)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:10:12 +0200

Am Samstag, 05.10.02, um 21:15 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Frank Groot:

Now the unhappy stuff:

What i really like about my 6310i is the ability to store several phonenumbers and addresses under one name. Gnokii only mentiones the preferred number when downloading the phonebook.

Question:
I like to try the connection=irda setting. Indeed there is no documentation of Apple about the infrared port besides the usage as a normal serial port. What is the difference between using a normal serial port or the irda port ? Uses a gnokii irda special features not possible with a serial port protocol.
Or simply said :
If my irda works with model=AT ans connection=serial why not with model=6510 connection=irda ?

All tips and ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Frank Groot

As far as I understand it, Apple only exposes the IrCOMM protocol to third party developers via POSIX interface (have a look at http://www.irda.org/standards/standards.asp for more info). Nokia seems to use a different protocol for data exchange. I didn't look too deep into this since there's no support from Apple.

The IrDA implementation of Linux is definitely different than the one on MacOS X. To make matters worse IrDA is not a part of Darwin (i.e.: closed source). The only way to use the infrared port would be to port LinuxIrDA over to MacOS X/Darwin...<sigh>.

I did have very good results with a Keyspan USB to serial adapter (http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA28x/) and a Nokia DLR-3P cable connecting to a Nokia 6210 though.
At a price of roughly 150 Euro for cable/adapter :-(

---
Ruotger "Roddi" Skupin mailto:address@hidden aim:rraubtigger

"address@hidden" wird bald abgeschaltet, bitte nur noch "address@hidden" benutzen. "address@hidden" will be switched off soon, please use "address@hidden".