Re: Problems sending SMSes with 6210

From: Ladislav Michl
Subject: Re: Problems sending SMSes with 6210
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:18:22 +0100

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 04:25:05PM +0100, BORBELY Zoltan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 03:06:04PM +0100, Ladislav Michl wrote:
> > either use the same way for _all_ output devices or use function like
> > xwrite as implemented in common/links/atbus.c
> >
> > i'd vote for implementing such feature in link layer (maybye in utils.c)
> > rather than put all such mess in device layer. i'd say device layer
> > should be keept as simple and straightforward as possible.
>
> Maybe we should put it into device.c, but currently only the serial
> driver requires this workaround.

perhaps better to say we received bugreport concerning serial driver only.
this is probably caused by fact that others are not so well tested.

> The link layer definitly the wrong place for it.

according my current understanding device layer only encapsulates
different devices. am i right? and if so read manual page for write
(AFAIR write on MS-Windows has the same behaviour). fix was done only
for serial driver. so doing this one layer above device one seems clear
to me in this situation.

now imagine some time critical mbus type protocol. link driver author
can call read between partial writes to read echoed bytes which will
lead to better behaviour not mentioning situation when you have also
small read buffer... (i'd like to do it for cbus as soon as statemachine
will be fixed properly after 0.5)

        ladis