Re: misc datatypes

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: misc datatypes
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:44:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, BORBELY Zoltan wrote:

> All of these systems define the uint8_t in a separate low level header
> file. This header is included from different places (e.g. <sys/types.h>).
> Linux has a separate <inttypes.h> too, but its contents is quite
> different. Some users reported compilation problems on FreeBSD and
> OpenBSD platform caused by the double typedef. I added the <inttypes.h>
> check to configure and include to the compat.h header. uint8_t will be
> defined _only_ if there's no <stdint.h> (Linux has) and <inttypes.h>
> (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris, Linux have).

Yep, I noticed that. Smart done, I like it and it seems to work correctly.
The issue is that I need to do it explicitely in the exported gnokii.h
header -- we don't have possibility to check for header there, so I need
to assume something.

But at the moment I'm considering Ladis idea. unsigned int type is always
at least as wide as uint8_t. So using unsigned int should cause no harm
and the compiler should do the work. Can anyone see the weakness of the
idea? I have not yet made any tests.