Re: 3110 SMS data encoding [patch]

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: 3110 SMS data encoding [patch]
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 15:44:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Osma Suominen wrote:

> I think an even better place for this is the driver specific parameters
> i.e. the gn_phone data structure, since this is really not phone
> specific but phone family (eg 3110/3810/8110/8110i) specific.

I think it is not true for phones handled by AT driver.

> Another issue is that this information (what encoding the phone driver
> wants) must somehow be passed to the relevant functions in gsm-sms.c
> i.e. sms_data_encode and sms_data_decode. I don't think adding more
> parameters to 4 API functions is a good idea, so I'm currently trying to
> implement this so that there's an extra field in the gn_sms_raw data
> structure that is used to pass around the expected encoding (both ways).

Well, I think that adding an extra parameter is not a problem since these
functions are not in API. And I don't think that such marker in the
gn_sms_raw would be an elegant solution.

This information does not come along with sms reeceived or being sent,
but this it the driver (or rather phone) specific thing. So, let's not
make a mess in the sms structs.

> Note that ASCII is not really a good name for what we're talking about,

Oh well, it was just an example ;-)