Re: Phones getting killed when using smsd

From: Tomasz Kobylinski
Subject: Re: Phones getting killed when using smsd
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:57:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Pawel Kot wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Johannes Lehtinen wrote:
>
> > We have been trying to use smsd (0.5.0, Debian package gnokii-smsd) in a
> > server environment to replace the previously used proprietary software.
> [...]
> > Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it possible that the
> > software could somehow damage the phone or overload it? Or should we
> > assume that server hardware or cable is somehow faulty?
>
> Unfortunately yes. Tomasz Kobylinski reported similiar behaviour
> recently. And it seems it was introduced in 0.5.x series. I'd like to find
> the exact change that caused that effect, but I know that it will be
> extremly hard. But if you were so kind to do more testing this is what to
> do:
>  - test several gnokii versions (at least full versions) and see which one
> was the latest working one (see Tomasz emails from August for some hints)
>  - try to run gnokii --monitor and see whether it hangs
> Unfortunately I don't have spare SIM card at the moment and all my tests
> are apparently too short -- I don't get any phone freezes..

nokia 5110 works good.I'm testing it over 27 hours and it is still
alive.

address@hidden:~$ ./smsd --version
smsd - version 1.1-cvs          (20030209)
Copyright  Jan Derfinak  <address@hidden>

address@hidden:~/usr# gnokii --version
GNOKII Version 0.5.2
cfg_file_read - open /root/.gnokiirc: No such file or directory
Opened configuration file /etc/gnokiirc
Added new section global
Adding key/value port//dev/ttyS1
Adding key/value model/5110
Adding key/value initlength/default
Adding key/value connection/serial
Adding key/value bindir//usr/local/sbin/
Adding key/value use_locking/no
Adding key/value serial_baudrate/19200
Adding key/value handshake/software
Adding key/value smsc_timeout/10
Added new section connect_script
Adding key/value TELEPHONE/12345678
Added new section disconnect_script
Copyright (C) Hugh Blemings <address@hidden>, 1999, 2000
Copyright (C) Pavel Janik ml. <address@hidden>, 1999, 2000
Copyright (C) Pavel Machek <address@hidden>, 2001
Copyright (C) Pawel Kot <address@hidden>, 2001-2003
Copyright (C) BORBELY Zoltan <address@hidden>, 2002
gnokii is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for gnokii.  See GPL for details.
Built 14:22:38 Aug 21 2003