Re: no auth possible: 'getlogname (AUTO_PPP, read:'

From: Aart Koelewijn
Subject: Re: no auth possible: 'getlogname (AUTO_PPP, read:'
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:41:42 +0200 (CEST)

Op 2003-10-18 om 12:52 schreef Ekkard Gerlach:

> Hello,
>
> using gnokiid to dialing to a ISDN-getty I can't
> afford authentication. Either I get
>
>   The remote system is required to authenticate itself
>   but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password)
>   for it to use to do so.
> in /var/log/messages (server side)
>
> or:
>
>   10/18 12:09:00 yI1   getlogname (AUTO_PPP), read:
>
> in /var/log/mgetty.ttyI1 (server side).
>
> But username and password are definitely in /etc/pap-secrets
> (chap excluded)!! Using noauth in /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
> (server side) I get a connection. But auth is necessary.

I use the same set-up but with the difference that I use chap for
authorisation.

> my /etc/ppp/peers/demon-gnokii:
> /dev/gnokii 115200
> modem crtscts defaultroute
> connect 'chat -v ABORT BUSY ABORT ERROR ABORT "NO CARRIER" "" AT OK-AT-OK
> ATZ OK ATS35=0 OK ATD07998399999 CONNECT'
> user otto

In my peers file the user is not defined

> #noauth
> #connect-delay 5
> # the above seems critical. The standard delay is 100. With that only half
> # of the tries got a connection. With 5 the results are much better,
> # but still not 100 %
> mtu 296
> #lcp-max-configure 20
> #idle 30
> debug
> 192.168.0.51:192.168.0.31
>

> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> "otto" * "handy"

In my chap-secrets I use the hostname of the laptop and instead of * I use
the hostname of the server

> and on server side:
> ===================
> /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config:
> #/AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd noauth
> /AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login kdebug 7 debug

In my case:
/AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth

A comment I found in my pap-secrets file:
# If you add "auth login -chap +pap" to /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config,
# all users in /etc/passwd can use their password for pap-authentication.
#
# Every regular user can use PPP and has to use passwords from /etc/passwd
#*      hostname        ""

This suggests to me, that if you use those options the file pap-secrets is
not checked but /etc/password

To use the pap-secrets file I think you will have to use the option:
/AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd require-pap

> *       -       -       /bin/login @
>
> /etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config:
> debug 10
> speed 38400
> port ttyI1
> rings 1
> data-only y
> init-chat "" ATZ OK AT&E8399999 OK AT&R9600S19=197 OK
>

> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> "otto" * "handy" *

see the comments above

Aart