Re: (OT) Looking for a linux-compatible smartphone.

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: (OT) Looking for a linux-compatible smartphone.
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:33:51 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Philippe Andersson wrote:

> > In the mean time I bought a nokia 3650, which is a symbian 60 based
> > phone too. Currently I'm learning how to write programs for symbian
> > series 60 os. I think we can add series 60 support to gnokii in the
> > future.
> That would be great news ! XGnokii's interface is awsome. Originally, I
> planned staying with Nokia, just for the sake of keeping gnokii working.
> But I didn't find a phone that matched the feature list I was looking
> for, so I went SE instead. Time will tell whether I made a good choice ;-)

Yes, I already discussed it with Bozo on irc. I have Nokia 9210 for
development that it also Symbian based. The best idea to us, as suggested
by Bozo, is some kind of the hybrid solution.

Currently all code and our focus is on the PC side. It has the
disadvantage of the must of reverse engineering of the whole protocol. If
we can upload our code to the phone it is much better:
 - symbian provides api and libraries to handle communication/file
types/etc from the phone side
 - we can use some well known protocol (obex?) to communicate
 - therefore we avoid the hardest part: decoding the communication
protocol and gnokii side should be fairly easy do be done

This method allows us to be Nokia independent. The solution should work on
all Symbian phones.