gnokii and the Nokia 6100

From: T. Ribbrock
Subject: gnokii and the Nokia 6100
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:19:07 +0100

Hi all!

Sorry for starting a new thread on this topic, but I just joined the
list and hence have no message of the old one to reply to...

Anyway, having bought a 6100 yesterday, I was of course interested in
getting an infra red connection to work. I had heard about gnokii
before, so naturally, I tried it. Fortunately, I came across the thread
"gnokii breaks nokia 6100", so I was cautious and did not wildly
experiment.

What I did notice, though, is that the problems *seem* to be related to
the firmware version as well. After reading that most (all?) problems
manifest themselves with the older "04.01" version, I checked mine. My
phone has "05.16" and I decided to be daring...
So far, I've run "gnokii --monitor" with no problems and have also
downloaded and edited the calendar with xgnokii. I've also sent an SMS
using xgnokii. No problems ocurred - the phone is still working perfectly
and all actions were duely executed.

I've done this under Mandrake Linux 9.1, using gnokii 0.5.8 from
Mandrake Cooker on a Toshiba Libretto 110CT. I had the connection speed
set to 9600 baud.

Also, I found this interesting tidbit:
On http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/reviews/nokia-6100.htm , at least
two owners report a similar problem with his phone. Also, one person
suggests that version 4.01 has quite a few problems.

Further, I've seen messages on Usenet (Google Groups) indicating similar
problems (screen going black when using infrared, though no version
given).

Just to add a few new datapoints to the discussion...

Cheerio,

Thomas (who's now trying to find out why file export in 0.5.8 doesn't
        work on his laptop... :-} )
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org